View Single Post
      01-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #40
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I'm gonna add an anecdote in here, OP, so you see what reward you should be seeking. My parents forced me into a private college during my second year out of H.S. I had been attending CC (on full ride scholarship) in my hometown trying to save them money and obtain my A.A.S. before moving onto a bachelors at a public university. My plan was solid and working. They had different ideas. After 1 yr. there and $20K later (that was just tuition, not including room and board) they, my father more specifically, finally listened to me and let me pursue my path as I had laid it from the start. I saved my parents somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$80K by going my route. You know what my reward was for that and what I wanted more than anything? I'd like to think that the savings I provided him helped, in part, pay for the Porsche 911 C2S he had been wanting for as long as I can remember (he purchased it was when I was 29, I am 33 now) or is sitting in their retirement account. The day he sent me the pics of him sitting in the car and that huge ass smile on his face was my reward.
Nice! Kudos to you

I'm hoping OP has been listening - there should be no "entitlement" feeling from a kid to his parents. I love my parents, and I expect nothing from them, not even an inheritance. They taught me the value of working hard, they brought me up in a good home and loved me - what more can I ask for? I only hope they are able to enjoy themselves in their latter years and reap the rewards of their hard work.

Save for yourself and buy a car - it will be more rewarding knowing you bought it with your hard work. You'll value it more.
Appreciate 0