05-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #98
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Meh to be fair, using the same platform for a car is different than straight up rebadging. Cadillac uses the same platforms that RWD Chevys use, nothing wrong with that.

With that said, I do think its sad that everyone is moving towards FWD models. Mercedes did it with the CLA now BMW is following suit. Guess everyone wants a piece of the new entry level market.
Agreed, but I think it's fair to say that for BMW enthusiasts the direction of the company is a bit off course. But I remember the days, just 5 or so years ago when BMW touted how it never had to compromise its cars like other brands (i.e. Lexus, Infinity, Audi) because it was “independent” and didn’t platform share. Oh and just 10 years ago on how RWD could only provide the ideal 50/50 weight balance necessary for an excellent-handling car. And then Scott26 saying in a post several months back, how BMW figured out a FWD platform provides more spacious interiors and layout (i.e. no driveline tunnel), like it was an engineering epiphany – something I pointed out in the thread that the British figured that out in the 1950’s, and the Japanize car industry built a dynasty on. But whatever.

And let's not forget the Olds Toronado...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0