Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
What's wrong with diesel would own one the rest of my life by contrast
Keep in mind, you asked for this rant...so...

When I bought mine, gas was about $4 a gallon, so it made sense at the time. When it dropped to $2 a gallon about a 2 months later...and diesel was still at $4.50 for another 4 or 5 months, not so much. Being a diesel owner, you start to see these trends where gas drops and diesel does not. PA fuel tax is extremely high, and it's even higher on diesels.

From there, the VW scandal allowed for a re-tune of all diesels that dropped mpg by 2MPG (was 27-28 when I started, 25-26 after) and created a beautiful new limp home mode when there were issues with the regen process. I didn't ask for this to be done, dealer just did it (at the time, we really didn't know what the VW issues really were thought)

So, lets discuss new diesels and the regen.
-You need to either tow with the diesel constantly, or drive these things on the highway constantly. This new process does not allow for short distances. When I broke my ankle and was forced to drive the only auto I owned, my short trip to work wouldn't allow for a regen to go...and the exhaust filled up. A trip to the dealer and $350 later for a manual regen that can only be done at the dealer, and we're back in the game.
-So my wife starts driving it, her longer distances to work, and a couple weeks later, "Exhaust almost full - drive on the highway", but it's my kids graduation party, shit to do...goes to her mom's - goes to the store, "exhaust full, limp home mode". Another trip to the dealer - another $350 - and a talk to by the mechanic telling me I really need to drive this on the highway. 90,000 miles in 4 years, I'm not sure how much more highway I can do.

-Friday - wife calls me about another "get your ass on the highway message". So instead of coming home, she gets on the highway and drive 15 miles for no reason. Message goes away - and I look to trade it in. I'm out.

Jeep realized they had an issue with the regen filter (diesel version of a catalytic as best I can tell) and they extended the warranty to 8 years 80,000 for having so many failures. Jeep would not look at it for me, as I was at 85,000 when all this started. Cost to replace - $4000 to $8000.

Add to this, $200 oil changes (that's what it cost me to do myself...not the dealers charge, those are $350). As it requires almost 9 quarts of a special synthetic that only Pennzoil and mopar have - and 3 filters. Add to that DEF fluid that needs added (about 8 gallons every 8000 miles). Not much of an issue, until you get the "Out of DEF - 150 more miles of driving" messages.

With that, I'll never own again, won't recommend, and will pity those that have.