Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBF87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBF87 View Post
I am going to off topic this thread for a brief moment because I am genuinely curious how us gun owners are felling about expanded background checks, and raising the minimum age to purchase a fire arm? It's sad that it takes horrific events for us to consider these changes, but I for one really can't stand thinking about little kids being gunned down. Literally gives me chills.

As some background, I am a new Texan, firearms owner, including AR-15s, and am in support of expanded background checks and a higher minimum age to purchase a firearm.

According to NBC I am not alone, in fact the majority, but am never really sure if I can trust those polls.

What are your opinions?

PS - My favorite gun to shoot is my 6.5 Ruger Precision Rifle

As to assault rifles, I don't see the need. There are plenty of non-assault firearms on the market that are suitable for game hunting and target practice.
Assault rifles is a misnomer used by the anti-gun crowd. AR-15's aren't assault rifles. Arguably, it is easier to be accurate and efficient with an AR-15 than it is a semi-automatic handgun.
It's a really good question, but also a tough one. You previous comment about medical records makes sense, but how else are we supposed to keep up with someone's mental health?

I liked the way NJ went about it. Two references, about a 60 day waiting period, and all of the applications for FIDs (what you need to buy any gun) is reviewed by your local police department.

Not much digs into your mental health, but a standardized psych evaluation by your doctor might suffice?

That still does leave a blind spot for people who deteriorate mentally though it does seem that these people who carry out these attacks go on a buying spree right before the attacks…so the above could work.

The reality is as someone else pointed out before, someone is going to like the changes, and someone else will not. However it seems the majority are ready for serious changes.

In regards to age however, most of these mass shooters seem to be between 18-21, agreed it's not exclusive, but it can't hurt to wait for peoples brains to be completely developed can it?
Well the reality is that there's no real way to do it without infringing on their HIPAA rights, and in doing that it makes everything else open game. Like I said, slippery slope.

The idea about a psych evaluation sounds good on the surface, but ask anybody who has every gone through a psych evaluation (…cough…every police officer….cough), their conclusions are rarely ever in line. It's a subjective conclusion rather than an objective one. It will not fix the issue.

These mass shootings that occur aren't cookie cutter. Some have clinically documented mental issues while others claim to have issues because it's convenient and/or is designed as a sympathetic petition to those who may be tasked with judgment (…e.g…jurors, the judge, etc.). Some use illegally obtained firearms and some use legally owned and/or possessed firearms. Some have temporary mental breakdowns because of a trauma and others are just evil people. There's no real rhyme or reason.
Appreciate 1