Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrsteve View Post

Different strokes for different folks, but I feel bad for anybody that calls themselves a photographer and has not got to experience film to some degree. I truly think they're missing out.

I hear what you're saying, but I'd tell a purely digital photographer to forget about film and focus on your craft using the technology that gives you the result that you want. Of course, most of the film photographers that I know today, scan and digitally process to arrive at their final product. I'm sure they're out there, but I don't know anyone these days that physically dodges and burns when making their prints. I'm glad that I did it, BUT it's not really additive to my digital imaging life.

Believe me, I know the process of making images with film. My very first exposure to photography was to make my own penhole camera, take pictures of my classmates, process the negative and contact-print the image. I soon purchased a medium format TLR that I used until it fell apart, then moved to 35mm. I didn't go 100% digital until 2007.

I expose differently for digital than I did for film. I run into people all the time that expose digital as if they're shooting Kodachrome. When they do that, they lose dynamic range and limit the final image.

Still, I understand enjoying the process and the bit of mystery involved in the delayed gratification. When I would bracket with film I was always thinking about using 3 exposures out of 12 on a roll of medium format film. I'd think, "Maybe I'll take one and cross my fingers that I got it right." With digital, I'm constantly taking test shots and thinking, "That test shot cost me almost nothing and now I know that I've got room to raise my exposure a little more without blowing out important details."

BTW, I've never been without a turntable and LPs going back to my youth. (Over 2000 and still counting). I've also got a really super-duper DAC and make my own DSD recordings that finally start delivering on the long over-hyped promise of digital audio. I finally move between analog and digital audio without feeling like the digital lost something. Digital photography actually fulfilled its promise and potential much more quickly than digital audio, which got stuck for decades with format limitations foisted on us by industry powers (read Sony).