View Single Post
      12-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #56
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post
OK, Halim from ProTuningFreaks told me that he can make a custom map for my car, and he did these cars many times before. But he can not find neither any dyno results nor tells me any target power range that can be achieved
you cant simply look at the graph and see 170hp and "ooo that must be mine"

dynos do NOT measure power at the engine and there is always some variation between engines even of the exact same model

170hp is pretty close to 184 so it's not like the difference between a B48 and a B58 for example, you can't draw conclusions from that

Given the rarity of the 1.6l B48 i doubt they would use that engine in their marketing material

As for target power gains don't expect too much

You actually have a lot of good things going for you on this 1.6L engine

It's got an oversquare design as opposed to undersquare on all the other B series engines

You're running the same turbo as the B48B20 (both B20A and B20B use the same turbo) so airflow isn't really going to be an issue (horsepower is largely dictated by how much air you're capable of pumping into the engine, on a turbocharged setup this is largely determined by your boost level).

It's got a rod/stroke ratio greater than 2 (almost 2.1) whereas the 2L and 3L B series are ~1.5.

So you can push the RPMs on this thing quite high, (let me run some calculations later but back of the envelope guess I'd say 8000rpm easy assuming the rods are not made of shittier material)

So those are the good points ... the bad point is that it's ultimately a 1.6L engine. You're simply not going to get to the same power output as the 2.0 simply because you're going to find it hard to run more boost than what the 2.0 can deliver (which you absolutely will need to unless you can bump the redline by 25% which is insane)
Appreciate 1
ejlover06104.50