View Single Post
      01-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

G30 Paddle Shifters - DONT DO WHAT I DID

So, I got AutoTechnik paddle shifter replacements for my 2021 M550i. And they're awesome, totally love the feel and use of them now that they're installed.

BUT I fucked up, and want to give you guys the watch outs I learned the hard way:

1.- get Torx screwdrivers, do NOT use Torx ratchet sets. I did that to be cheap/lazy, and I cranked my screws so hard they sheared off in the plastic housing, requiring a whole new set of paddles ($450 from an online retailer)

2.- when you order new paddles, if you lost a screw or broke a screw, they do NOT come with replacement screws.

3.- definitely use a strong magnet on a stick, or something similar, so you don't drop any screws into the wheel. It'll arc with the clock spring and your horn will be stuck on if you don't get it out. Not a fun process, and your neighbors will think you're as stupid as you do.

4.- the 'replacement box of screws' for the wheel that is a BMW part (picture of white box with part number below) - 32-30-6-884-696 - does NOT include the Torx screws for the paddles. The only way to get OEM ones, that I've found after long conversations with GetBMWParts.com and my local parts department, is to buy a new whole wheel assembly for $1k.

5.- if you wanted to replace these screws, as I had to, with non OEM hardware to save yourself $1k, go to Home Depot. I bought these machine screws (pictured below) the #6-32 x 3/4 in or #6-32 x 1/2 in will do the trick. I forget which length I used in the final install, but I believe I went 3/4 in. Just make sure you get the round head, it will fit best and give you the right seal / connection on the steering wheel side of things.

PSA over, don't be a moron like me!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2