09-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Thanks! I'll be back and forth between the BMWCCA corral and the hospitality chalet. This is my first PLM, but I've been to many other IMSA/F1 races in the past. I'm not sure what's a good area to watch the race (certain turns or grandstands), but depending on the weather, will probably watch from the corral/chalet. I'm staying at the Lake Lanier resort, since BMWCCA reserved some rooms there at a decent rate.

Just curious, where did you sign up for the chalet? I already have my credentials for it, but have a friend that I'd like to get in
Sweet! Lake Lanier Resort has always seemed nice - I've never had the need to actually stay there, but looked nice from the outside and I think only a 30-40 min drive from Road Atlanta.

I actually got an email from BMW NA offering me tickets, parking, and chalet access, so I signed up that way. I'm very thankful that I was targeted, though I have no idea why I was. I did order and take delivery of an M550i this year...

Unfortunately the link in the email appears to be unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post
Petit is very free flowing. Be prepared to walk around a lot. Be sure to be there early on race-day so you can walk down to the front straight and check out the cars.

There's no real racetrack view from the corral, though the chapter usually has a TV set up. As a local chapter member, I'll say you're probably better off at the Chalet since you have access.

The two most popular places to watch the race are:
1. Spectator Hill - You sit at the top of turn 5 looking back at the esses and turn 4 and can watch the cars through to 6.
2. Turn 10 a/b. Cars coming down the back straight at full tilt braking into left and right 90 degree turns to go up the hill under the bridge.

I went over to turn 3 last year and enjoyed it. Its where cars will get up on two wheels jumping the curb, then go full-boogie down the esses and up 5.
Great tips - thank you! Looked up a couple YT videos and it looks like a bunch of walking for sure. We are indeed planning to get there as early as we can to wander through the paddock and do the grid walk beforehand.
Appreciate 0