Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I still think it's too much to go 120 for a sustained period of time, and 150 is absolute bonkers. This is still America at the end of the day, driver education and road quality is not the same as the Autobahn in Germany.
Again, I agree with you in general, but it depends on the circumstances. I honestly have roads around here that would make any racetrack blush. If it's a road that you travel frequently, and know well, with no traffic, and perfect conditions, then 150 isn't bad at all.

But by the same token, I've been going 85 on certain Interstates and hit dips and holes in the road like, WTF is happening here? They expect the general public to drive 70 on these roads knowing they are really to be going 75/80???

It also very much depends on the car. My old Honda S2000 took FOREVER to get to 140, whereas my old STi could do it within a half-mile.

And then there's the prudence, and control. My Exige might get to 150, but good lord the thing would be nutty, sounding like it was coming apart, and feeling like it was going to take flight. The STi could do 150 with narry an issue at all, like it was made for it.

I haven't been 150 in the M2, but my guess is that it's a pussycat there, more at home even than the super safe seam-welded brick STi.
Appreciate 0