View Single Post
      09-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
BMWFamilyMan
Fnatic
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30

So I finally got around to writing a review. I just want to state (as a reply to some comment above) that I do not have any connection to Ventura and this is meant to be an informative and obective review. I did post a video above for you to see. I'd be happy to help answering any questions about my experience so far. Hope you guys find this useful.

First off, the car:
I have a G30 530i RWD M-sport with a lot of options, some of them adding weight
such as sun roof, tow bar etc. Engine is of course the B48 252bhp.

Tyres are Michelin Primacy 3 RFT 245/275 on 664M wheels.

Deciding on Ventura
I chose the Dutch company Ventura over some of the others for the following reasons:
- Connects to four sensors (Turbo 1 & 2, camshaft and fuel pressure)
- Specializes in german premium cars BMW, MB, Audi (ie not generic)
- Claimed gains (although I know those are on max mapping etc. and not healthy in the long run)
- Had read good thing about them, and their customer service

Disqualified Race Chip and JB+ (too generic, only connecting to one/two sensors)
and JB4 (no need for logging, and claimed performance gains weren't as good). Also
looked at a few others but couldn't find any credible reviews.

Purchase experience
Compared to Race Chip, Ventura's site is amateurish at best. I choose to think
they have better things to do (like developing tunes for our cars). Customer service
is on the other hand excellent and we emailed back and forth quite a bit before I placed
my order. Payment was a bit unorthodox (direct bank transfer) but worked out well. They
do ship worldwide I believe. The box cost 650EUR (around $699) which puts it in line
with RC Ultimate and JB4.

The box
Packaging was good and the box and cables themselves are very well built. If you open it
you'll find that the electronics/CPU is sealed in some kind of plastic, which means two things -
first it is robust and can probably resist water and dust, second it's pretty much impossible
for competetitors to break down and analyze

Opening the box you have two kinds of settings. The first is your usual map dial-setting. It comes default
set to map 5 (which is the one I use still). You can go up a notch or two but that requires high octane fuel
and possibly dealing with CEL's. I will try map 6 soon as I have read it takes it to another level. The second
setting are five (if I remember correctly) pins for which you can change various things such as tourqe level on low revs
and fuel pressure. Don't know much about them and haven't changed anything.

One complaint I do have is that Ventura for some reason haven't answered my specific questions around the different map
settings and pin configurations. I guess they want you to use the defaults.

The manual is simple and easy to understand with pictures and instructions on where to find the different sensors, where to place the box etc.
You really can't mess it up if you just read it as it comes with instructions for you specific car
(pictures were taken from a G30 and not a 3-series for example). All cables were just the right length so I really didn't find the need
to do any wirestrapping. Finally the box had an adhesive tape wich meant you just slap it on to a flat area on the upper right side
of the bay.

Installation took around 10 minutes, with most of the time going to jerking and pulling the original connectors.

Tests
Conditions were like this - 84 degrees (29 celsius), pretty high humidity, 1/3 tank and on a dry and flat surface.
I did do runs in both directions, taking the average (which were pretty much the same so it was flat alright).
OEM I did it with launch control with no wheel spin, with the box installed I initially had quite a bit of wheel spin but
after doing it without LC I managed to find some kind of sweetspot.

I tried to do the tests as accurately as possible (without acually benching it). I filmed using a good DC, imported the vid
to an editor, added a counter and basically took it frame by frame to make sure I caught the right starting point and 100km/h.
The digital speedo jumps from 98 to 103 in 16 frames, so I clocked it at frame 10 which should put it right around or slightly
above 100. Did the same for all tests, and what really matters is the relative numbers.

So, was the box delivering? Here it is:
OEM LC
0-100 6.3 s
100-150 6.8 s

Ventura map 5 LC (wheelspin)
0-100 5.5 s
100-150 6.0 s

Ventura map 5 without LC
0-100 5.2

Driving characteristics are still really good with smooth and linear acceleration, but I do think I notice a few things. I say think because below are very subjective observations, and
after installing the box you instinctively try to listen, feel and observe everything much more than before.

1. It revs just a tad lower when cruising in comfort mode.
2. Slightly better MPG. I have just today measured at pump and have two things comfirmed. MPG IS a little better, maybe 3%. The trip computer IS a little off, like 2% or so.
3. More Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde than before. Same same when easing it in comfort, but it really punches you in the back when putting your foot half way down.
4. Does it perhaps make a little more exhaust noise? Do I hear the turbo more? I think so, but I'm not sure

As I wrote above, I have not benched it, but saying it now puts down around 305bhp is probably not an outright lie.

All in all, very happy with it.

Appreciate 0