View Single Post
      11-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #94
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
In the end it doesnt matter what we think of it, or even what drivers like Hamilton think of it or what the guy in the video thinks of it.
It's up to the officials and race director. And in their view and how the rules are it's a clear matter. Ocon had no business in trying to pass Verstappen in such an aggressive way like I've been telling all along.
Ocon fucked up on the straight where he had not limited the distance between Verstappen and himself enough that he could make a clean pass on the straight, so he should have backed off in T1, instead he decided to hold his ground into T2 which resulted in the crash. So its completely Ocon's fault. I don't understand how this is so difficult to understand for certain persons. Whitings explanation was very simple.
A race leader should not be hindered by someone who's trailing a lap, thats the point and a lot of rules in F1 are focussed on that. Like the blue flag.
I don't know how old the people here are that don't get this, but if you're over 40-45ish, you probably remember how F1 was before the blue flags and that cars that were trailing a lap behind more often had an influence in the outcome of a race, hindering the race leaders too much. Of course they also drive their own race but it was decided that it was more important that the battle between race leaders was influenced as less as possible by these lesser drivers. Back then the race leaders could get very pissed off by lesser drivers getting lapped. Can you imagine what happens with the explosive temperament of Senna when he had to deal with such things? (of course Senna was also a guy at the start of his career that pissed off race leaders when he was getting lapped)
Actually, I'd say the officials and race directors thoughts/punishments matter the least out of all of this. They didn't give MV the win so what does a ten second penalty matter to a driver that wasn't even going to make it into a point position anyway? And MV's penalty? Who even knows what they meant there.

I guess for me it is hard to understand your point of view because............I don't get why MV is allowed to stuff his nose into the first corner defending his inside line (as Ocon was ahead there), but Ocon isn't allowed to defend his inside line into the next one. MV clearly dove into Ocon in that corner causing the crash.

Before you say race leader etc. Was it bad taste etc by Ocon to do what he did? 100%, was it against the rules to try and pass him to unlap himself no.
Appreciate 0