clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I don't understand why people are so worked up about this.

Even if you don't want to figure out what secret combination of steps will make the car turn off on door open, there are two methods that work 100% of the time:
1. Lock the car
2. Press the radio power button
Once the Genius told me those two things, I never saw a need to try to understand anything further.

I mostly just lock the car now even in the garage. Keeps the mirrors tucked away (it's parked next to Mrs. Lee's daily driver) and I literally have to walk through our mud room/key rack to get to the garage. If I forget, the key is 10 feet away. Plus, we've found that the fob-profile match works flawlessly when the car is locked, since it knows to link to the profile of whoever touches the driver door and not just who is in the car first.

On occasion if I want to leave it unlocked for some reason, I just pull in, park, and open the door. I honestly could not tell you what order I undo my seatbelt, release the brake, push the engine button, etc. Just...whatever. If the radio and stuff is still on (which is rare for me - so I guess whatever comes naturally to me is what BMW designed for), I hit the power button for a couple seconds and carry on with my day.

It took me about 20x longer to write this post than the cumulative amount of time I've spent thinking about this before today.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0