View Single Post
      01-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #103
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Surprised by the amount of people supporting BMW on this thread... really guys? M is supposed to represent the sports side of the brand. Tuned for 'colourful' driving. Sacrificing comfort in favour of rawness. Ultimate fun. That visceral sensation of feeling the road at your fingertips. A 'hell with the luxuries'. It doesn't mean 'fast commuter'. Bit by bit, 'M' is losing its meaning. It doesn't just mean 'fast'. 'My m340i can out-drag X'... I don't care. A Tesla can out-drag most things on the planet, doesn't make it a sports car... does it? Yes, an M340i etc are quick cars, but they aren't designed to be sports cars. I've driven an M240i on track back-to-back against my M2 and it's not the same, at all.

I haven't got an issue with a 'performance' variant of standard cars, but why pretend they are M, they're not. This is just marketing fluff gone lazy. The irony is that diluting the brand like this simply makes it less special and less desirable. People like to aim high, even if they can't get it. People like to dream. People fantasise of 'Ferrari' because it means something. If Ferrari started making commuter cars that were fast, but not 'Ferrari', the brand would die and the enthusiasts would move to a more serious brand. Just take a look at how many M owners are shifting towards Porsche. Says it all really.
Appreciate 10
6ixSpd5996.50
F87EVO4004.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
Germanauto9665.50
bm4w144.50
MDuckie93.00
WickedNy225.00