United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
Thanks Dave.
I actually think they spoilt that series of Shetland by making it appear too dark and brooding.
My wife and I spent a couple of weeks up on Shetland a few years ago and we had, in the main, the most amazing weather. OK, admittedly that was in the summer and as most of the islands are above 60 degrees north, they do have fairly short and dark winter days.
My memory of that trip to The Shetland Isles was of good weather and friendly people.
I'd had an ambition to go up to the northernmost point in The United Kingdom, Muckle Flugga, to photograph the lighthouse and the puffins, and managed to do both.
However it was on the ferry back from Unst to Yell that I remember the friendliness of the Shetlanders.
It is only a smallish ferry and, apart from a man with his van, we were the only other folk on board.
The captain came down from the bridge and asked if we would like to go up to take a look, and he insisted that Judith should sit in his seat and steer the ship - so I got a pic.
Great stuff and super picture of your lovely wife.

You confirm what I really expected. We've been to the UK several times, including "The North", but not into Scotland. We've added Scotland, and maybe the Shetlands to my list. My list already include puffins, so I might kill two birds with one stone. I'm hoping that with a little planning, we can hit a fair share of sunny weather.

The BBC seems dead set on making Scotland and Scandinavia (the BBC's Wallander, filmed in Sweden, made it look absolutely horrid). I think they use a "dreary-filter" on all exterior scenes. I find myself periodically saying, "Sun's out" to my wife, so she'll notice the false dreary.

Cheers,

Dave