View Single Post
      12-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #2737
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
i've never cj before, is it a solid addition to compound lifts? i've always wanted to try. How does it differ from squats, deads and overhead press - from your experience? in terms of muscle groups worked etc?
So you have squat cleans and power cleans - squat cleans you take the bar from the floor into the front rack position and front squat it. Power cleans is simply bringing the bar from the floor into the front rack position without squatting. Both are great for power development and will make you stronger overall. In terms of positioning compared to deadlifts, with cleans you are going to start with a vertical torso compared to a standard DL where you are purely hip hinging. As far as muscles worked, it's really a full body movement. Mainly lower body and core of course. I will say that when I do heavier cleans my traps get very sore due to the pull component and receiving of the bar.

As far as jerks, you have push jerks and split jerks. I wouldn't really recommend spending a lot of time on split jerks unless you really want to get into olympic weightlifting. Push jerks are a great overhead movement that you can use to supplement your shoulder/push days. Solid movement for training explosiveness and overhead stability. Push press is another great overhead movement you can do on shoulder days to incorporate some leg drive to get more weight overhead. It can be a nice variation to just standard strict press.

Generally speaking, they make you faster and more powerful.
Appreciate 1