04-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
But still the reliability question remains, why ? The 335i's in Bathurst ran on lower boost pressure. Even though, Vishnu has been very concerned about EGT's and the tiny 335i turbos. I understand, that a tuning company has to show big gains in hp and torque. But why not as an option ? If Vishnu would provide "racing" maps ( boost 12.5 psi or more, corresponding to the current maps ) AND "street" maps ( max. boost 11.5 psi, like used in Bathurst ), the customers would have the choice what they want to do with their cars. Not everybody is interested in huge gains. Big gains and other pro's of the PROcede are more than enough for me.
If we could have run the race cars at 12.5psi, we would have. Not just for power but for lower fuel consumption. During testing, we found that the higher boost we ran, the less we had to rev ou the car. With 11.5psi instead of the 8-9psi we initially tested with, the drivers would use all that extra midrange torque instead of revving it out to 7000rpm. This made the car run cooler and with lower fuel consumption. Surprised me too!

Compared to our street cars, the boost pressures we ran in the 12HR race is virtually identical above 3500rpm. The only time we ever see 12-13psi of boost with the street cars is at very low RPM. Something that race cars never see anyway.

Shiv
Appreciate 0