11-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVincent View Post
Brucelinc - you are not missing anything and, yes, the repair I did was perfect. Never lost air so the tire was not compromised in structure and the self vulcanizing plug bonds very well to the tire and turns black when they do.

Self vulcanizing plugs are red in color and don't require adhesive because they bond.

Logic tells me that I should be okay with that repair. But the fact that it is not endorsed by BMW, the tire manufacturer and is even illegal to do in my state at least (tire shops will not repair a run flat) places a shadow of a doubt in my mind and wouldn't want to compromise safety.

My car is not a M550 by any means, but, it is no slouch and has seen speeds north of 100MPH when passing multiple trucks on the turnpike or just quick spurts.
I have never heard of state or local laws prohibiting a tire repair. As I understand it, the US DOT leaves run flat repair to the tire manufacturer to decide.

In your case, your tire is safely repairable (regardless of what Pirelli may say). Your puncture is near center of casing. You didn't drive on it severely under inflated (under 18 psi). I suggest you patch repair from the inside to avoid the plug leaking in the future. And yes, you have good reason to be concerned about tire shops and their typically crap tire changing / mounting machines. Ask the shop if they have a leverless or no touch mounting machine. I suggest you look at it yourself b/c many shops will not be honest. Check the Hunter Engineering website to see what a good machine looks like. Hunter and Corghi are the two most popular makers of no touch machines.