View Single Post
      05-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #756
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The final 3 weeks of my last hospital stay were restricted to the bed due to falling hazard potential. At my house, there is a 20-foot walk from the driveway and two steps to get inside. Before they would let me go home, I had to work with a PT to prove that I could make it into the house. This dude made me walk all the way to the far end of the wing, go into the stairwell, climb two stairs, turn around, and walk all the way back to my room...with a nurse pushing an empty wheelchair following along in case I couldn't make it.

When I got to the stairs, I went up *three* steps, turned around, went back down...and then did it a second time by my own choice to show that the first time wasn't a fluke. I then walked back to my room, flopped into the bed, and told the PT and nurse that I'd be ready for discharge the next day because that walk took every ounce of energy and determination that I could muster for today.

Once I got home, I was using a Hurry-cane for the next month or so until I had enough stamina to walk unaided. All y'all have no idea what it's like to navigate the house in a sequence of "kamakazi dashes" between doorways, where you could hug the wall/frame until you had recovered enough energy to make the next hop along your route.....
Sorry to hear what you're going through. I get the occasional vertigo attack, although it's been a few years since the last one. I've found the attacks correlate with me being dehydrated. The company i worked for had a plant along the Mississippi River and there was a color chart on the wall at the urinals. It went from dark yellow to clear and was a crude indicator of your level of hydration. I've used that method (don't have a color chart on my bathroom wall ) and it seems to help.

Your underlying cause may be much deeper or more difficult to control, but, you are a physically active person and probably your thirst isn't screaming out that you need water because of your conditioning.