View Single Post
      09-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

A loooong time ago, when I was stationed at Ft. Hood, TX, a buddy and I were in a store and I saw a girl behind a counter ripping the covers off new magazines and throwing them away. I thought I asked her, "what are you doing?" She looked at me with a bit of a shocked expression (this was in the early 80's, so things were a bit different then). She then explained what she was doing and why. When we got outside, my buddy said, "I can't believe you said that her." Apparently I had asked her "What the fuck are you doing?" I never realized I had dropped the F bomb. It had become such a natural way for me to speak, apparently. That's when I started being far more aware of my language.

Times have certainly changed, though. A few years ago I worked at a school within the Univ. of Illinois where students earned a Masters level degree and went immediately into the corporate world. Several Fortune 500 companies would come to our school and interview students. The students would be dressed in serious corporate world suits (both men and women). There was a ladies room near my office and there would often be a line waiting to get in. I could hear the women waiting in line talking about their interviews. I was often stunned by the liberal use of the F bomb as they were talking. It seemed so out of place with people all dolled up in corporate attire, but I guess that's just me being old-school.

To the OP, I don't consider the word shit to be vulgar or offensive. That's a pretty sensitive neighbor you got there. Although I was once written up by a student for using the word "damn" in a sentence. So there are all different levels of sensitivity out there, I guess.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615268.00
eluded3041.50