View Single Post
      10-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #11
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I am aware of cross bikes and have test ridden them before. There's a lot of limitations to cross bikes I am not willing to accept.

The whole point is to have a road bike geometry for something you can ride off road. But if you do go off road, you'll always run into places there it's inconvenient. Doing hours of riding on a trail with a ridged fork will beat your wrists to pieces. Also, leaning low is not where you want to be on a descent on a trail.

On the road, they are often much heavier than road bikes and lack the aerodynamics. Although cross bikes are more suited for road than off road.

I'd say the cross bike is ok but it's definitely suited more for experienced riders off road as you have to live with the compromises and work around the limitations.
While I don't disagree, at no point did he say he's going to ride anything other than asphalt and crushed gravel, no option will handle these as well than a cross bike with a little meat on the tires. No boulders, mountain descents or jumping tree stumps were mentioned; if so, I wouldn't have suggested such. That use case has only one bike designed for it and it only does that well.

A cross bike is the best middle of the road without compromises until you get to the extreme ends of the spectrum. It will allow him to get out on the road and experience the satisfaction of smooth speed and dabble in mixed terrain or mud. From there he may find that he takes a strong liking to one particular use then go full on road bike and shave his legs or mountain bike and get a Subaru
Mr Tonka6058.00
M_Six16550.00