10-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrsteve View Post
Shop around and report back what's offered. I don't know what your local dealer sells but although I've never purchased a Giant, I feel they're the best bang for the buck. This is their entry Aluminum CX bike that will take a long time to outgrow and maintain great resale value (I personally don't know anybody that races cross on an expensive bike)

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...2/26059/92775/

As far as technology, tracking and navigation aren't mutually inclusive. Starting out, you can get a $50 Wahoo Bluetooth heart rate strap and use Strava on your smartphone to track your miles, route and general speed via GPS and the HR strap to help guide you to properly target and measure your workouts (I'm not going to get down the power meter route yet).

Real time navigation is a little trickier and is generally best suited by the Garmin Edge 800 or 1000 lines. But I don't want to inundate you with purchases yet. Once you get over the sticker shock of a bike you'll at bare minimum have to get a pump, spare tubes, tire kit, bottles, bottle cages, helmet and then very soon after should follow with pedals, shoes, GOOD shorts (if you want to buy once, get good bibs), a light, etc... It never ends.

With all of that being said. I started as you did and fell in love with it, so much that I completely quit tracking and began racing bikes as I found it THAT much more rewarding. No matter the level that you ride, I can't speak positively enough on how fantastic of an activity it is. Not only from the physical standpoint but also mental, in this era of information overload, it's therapeutic to get out for a few hours and just ignore the damn phone and better yourself. Plus, I ride with dudes of all ages and no matter if they're 50 or even in their 70's who have been avid cyclists are some of the happiest, fit and ailment-free people you will find.

So try not to get sticker shock from the entry to cycling as it will never be as expensive as a heartattack.
Thanks. I'm definitely going to look to see what's out there, including Craig's List. Although with our minimalist CL, I doubt I'll find something that fits. I'm 6'3", so it'd have to be a good sized bike.

While I don't want to go whole hog and throw away money on a bike I end up not using, I want something decent enough that I won't be looking to upgrade in a few months if I find I do like riding. Back in August I spent $1700 on a camera lens to shoot a local airshow, so I'm not averse to paying for something good if that's what it takes.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0