Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Well yes a track may be the "ultimate gauge", but the majority of owners will likely never or rarely take their cars to the track and will end up daily driving them, so I meant handling as to how it is on backroads, and general road driving. Handling is a more general term, the 1 and 2-series (non-M's) are road cars first, track second.
That's GARBAGE. Only people who have zero clue as to what "handling" means would say that.

A car that handles well on the street should handle the track well, and vice versa. A car that can't "handle" track duties will drive like sh*t on the street, period. There's no magical car that handles great on the street, but can't handle a turn at speed on track.

This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard on here. Different standards for street and track handling? People who don't take their car on the track therefore HANDLING doesn't matter to them because it's only used for the streets?

Might as well all buy and drive Priuses.
You completely misinterpreted everything I said.

Nowhere did I compare street vs track driving, or say that a car that handles well on street doesn't handle well on track or vice versa, and no where did I say there are different standards for track vs street driving, or that people don't track their cars don't care about a car's handling.

All I said was that yes I agree with you that the track is an ultimate gauge of handling, however I also stated that most owners of cars like the 1,2, or 3-series don't take their cars to track or are buying them primarily for track, nor are these cars built with the track in mind as a priority. Now, that doesn't mean they won't handle well on track, because it still can, I'm just saying most people are not taking them to the track. Most want to have a car that handles well in general driving, thus they judge handling as to how well it drives in general circumstances whether that be on a curvy backroad or highway/general driving.

Handling is used as a general term to how a car feels when driving, when people describe a cars handling they may or may not be referring specifically to track driving. For example, I test drove the M340i and thought that the handling was decent after driving it on some curvy backroads. I did not drive it on a track yet I was able to assess the handling after driving it. Like I said, "handling" is pretty general of a term and can describe a wide variety of things. It can be used whether it be street, track, or both, etc. I advise you read my post clearly because no where does it say what you implicated.