View Single Post
      04-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
So you are running you oil temp below optimum level…what’s your point?
Optimum oil temperature is between 194F to 212F (90-100C) unless you are running race specific oil that needs to be changes after every 12 hours of engine use, do you change your oil every 3-4 days?
Not to get into a semantical debate about optimum oil temp but 210 is typically the "highest" point that most supercars and hyper cars run with their oil temps. Most synthetics start shearing after 215F. (depending on which specific brand and weight of course).

My z06 never gets above 180F on the factory oil cooler.

Btw RobC has some super duper oil cooler upgrades so that's why he can achieve about 180F which I think is a good place to be on the oil temp, personally.

A majority if not the only reason BMW runs higher oil temps is simply for emissions and pumping losses. The viscosity for most oils is pretty much the same throughout the normal spectrum of temperatures ranging from 120-200F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
you actually think the temp gauge in car is actually the temp of the oil in your pan? Its not, sensor is not in the hottest point. Been running it like this for 2+ years...If it was a issue I would have found out by now. Please don't say "the water won't boil off"....my abs hurt ab and I don't need to laugh right now. On a serious note, if your temp gauge says its 180-190 it is higher.
The water comments are quite comical.

I must have a gallon of water in my 10 quart system if that's the case haha.
Appreciate 0