daveschroeder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F06 650i GC

Garage List
Exhaust modification possibilities for G30 M550

Hello,

Question for those who have done exhaust modifications.

For those who are looking for a deeper/more throaty note from BMW vehicles with 8-cylinder engines, what is the usual or common way forward? If you don't mind "louder", is simply doing so-called "straight pipes" a realistic option, or do you still want some kind of minimal muffler capability involved? I've seen plenty of, e.g., F10 M5 and 550 videos that claim "straight pipes" or various aftermarket exhausts, with varying sounds (and widely varying recording quality...), but it's so hard to tell. I mean, I'm not going to sit at idle or red lights and just rev the engine...just looking for a nice, audible, classic V8 sound at idle, and upon normal acceleration.

What are the best options from professional exhaust shops and aftermarket options intended for BMW? Is there a generally-accepted best path, or is it the type of thing where options vary widely based on personal tastes? On G30 M550 in particular, is it possibly to do bolt-in replacements, or is there cutting and welding that needs to be done? It appears from the parts catalog that a bolt-in replacement is possible, making it easy to reinstall the stock system. What are good options for the deep and throaty V8 sound (which I feel a V8 should sound like), but not overbearing to the point of being ridiculous?

I realize this is a highly subjective question, but hoping there are some out there whose reaction might be, "I know exactly what you're asking..." I realize, too, that exhaust is a topic that has been extensively discussed, but am hoping to get feedback specifically from folks who might have done this previously on F10 M5 and/or 550, and are planning the same on G30 M550. For example, is it possible to simply replace the entire "rear" muffler/exhaust assembly (from "2" back in the attached) with "straight pipes"? To rephrase, I know it's technically possible, but is it desirable if I'm looking for deep/throaty, but not ridiculous? I.e., "Yeah...if you live in a neighborhood among polite company, you're not going to want that." ;-)

Thanks all for your feedback!
Attached Images

Last edited by daveschroeder; 05-13-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0