03-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #59
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
We are joking but hey, modern cars are getting crazy heavy. I mentioned the latest M2...what is that, like over 1,700kgs or something?

I remember the outrage when my 2nd gen Z4 replaced the first gen cuz it's heavier. Now, it's like BMW's Speciale version compared to that lol.

For the record, I have a Lotus/MX-5/Miata mindset, I couldn't care less about insane 1,000hp and the crazy wt that comes w it and the engine having 32 cylinders, etc. I prefer handling above all else.
I'm the same. When I was looking hard at buying an E90 moving from a 2-door E30, I did a weight calculation based on passenger volume and footprint. BMW pretty much kept the lightweight ethos even up to the E90. The weight/volume ratio is nearly the same between the E30 and the E90. It was acceptable to me because I was looking for a larger 4-door 3-series.

The E86 Coupe is fantastic IMO. Light and extremely stiff. 265 HP N52 in a short, wide chassis.

Running track with a 4,000-pound M3 seems a bit dumb to me.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1