04-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #22
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Find another body shop.

The body shop I use exclusively works with all the major insurance companies. They know how to work within the system. My ex wife's car was involved in a wreck where she was not at fault. The at fault person's insurance was I think a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual as I seem to recall the truck that caused the wreck was a work truck.

From what I recall, my shop was able to get all OEM parts.

I had to get body work done on my 135i after a deer strike through my insurance with State Farm. They were able to get all OEM parts on this too with the exception of the condenser coil which was aftermarket. I was ok with that.

ETA: Oh and the Liberty Mutual rep started off with the same line about aftermarket/used parts were acceptable to repair my ex-wife's vehicle. I mentioned this to my body shop and they said no worries...they'll take care of it. And sure enough they did. To the tune of getting a whole new rear hatch to replace the damaged one because they couldn't get the fitment correct. A good body shop is worth their weight in gold. There's no coincidence there was a Bentley being repaired at their shop to fix the current damage and repair work that was half assed by another repair shop.
There's only 2 factory certified BMW repair shops in Seattle and my car is in pieces at one of them. Pulling out now is not really an option. i trust the body shop. They have kept me cc'd on all correspondence with LIMU and the guy is extremely direct. Pulls no punches. The problem is that LIMU is not obligated to pay for OEM parts and after calling my insurance about subrogation I've learned that neither are they, if the vehicle is more than 2 years old. The hope was that I'd be a big enough bother that they'd just sign off on the $317 difference in OEM vs. non OEM parts but they arent budging. So it's looking like I'll have to suck it up and pay that difference, then try to collect on the back end through a diminished value claim.
Appreciate 0