View Single Post
      01-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #76
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I find myself in agreement with those who are excited about the new turbo four. It looks like two thirds of an N55, but probably has more boost. Time will tell if the horsepower is as conservatively rated as the N55.

Comparisons to the STI and EVO are not appropriate as those cars have poor fuel economy. So poor that I don't see much of a future for them without significant revisions. Remember that in the US small cars must have much better fuel efficiency than under the old rules where everything was averaged together.

Although Hundai has a turbo 4 rated at 275 horsepower, I am willing to bet the 245 HP BMW motor will surpass it in both acceleration and drivability.
You also gotta remember that this engine isn't being developed for the purpose of being put into a sports car, it's to serve entry-level duty in place of the old n/a I6. That means enough hp to make it lively, but without sacrificing drivability low in the rev range and keeping good fuel economy. People don't opt for the entry level engine because it makes the most hp.

The EVO 2L engine is not DI, has a relatively large stock turbo that can produce well over 20psi and when combined with AWD gets piss poor fuel economy. Same story with the STi.
Appreciate 0