MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
think about this: developing an engine takes longer than 3 years.

Its all a made up story for the potential toyota buying public to feel special.
There's no toyota tech in the z4/supra.
Its all 3/1 series tech, like every other z4 generation before it.
If you look at the underside of the g29, its all so familiar if you work on bmw's. No toyota influence to be found.
I'm curious if you actually watched the video. They cite specific examples of additional tests that Toyota did to the B58 engine and that changes to design were requested. While a video like this doesn't cite sources, it appears to be pretty well researched. I rather hope that we are getting a tad tired of someone yelling "fake news" at something that contradicts with their opinions and not questioning them.

Neither the video nor anyone commenting on it suggested that Toyota was involved with the DESIGN of the engine, but rather that they did extensive testing of individual components and asked for changes based on those stress tests. It's not at all an unreasonable supposition that these additional tests would result in a more reliable engine than if testing had been limited to the "regular" tests that BMW does. The video noted that Toyota was surprised by how much effort was put into the design / engineering and BMW was surprised with how much effort was put into testing / reliability.

I have no skin in this game either way, other than owning a car that has a B58 engine and thinking wouldn't it be nifty if there were some real tangible benefits to the collaboration that would benefit me and everyone else that has a car with a B58. Having kept a BMW >10 years before, these silly quality / reliability issues DO start to concern you after the 10th 4 figure repair visit to the shop happens.
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
Alfisti6452.50