View Single Post
      03-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I don't think you are way off at all. I did a 50k back in January and must say if you can do a Marathon then 50k is not much harder as it's really only 5 more miles. Pace does play a big factor on what you are trying to achieve. The other large factor in a 50k is vertical gain as most 50ks are not road races. How much is there and what is the percentage incline as this increases fatigue and calorie burn rate. Your V02 Max is just fine with the fact that you can already train for hours on end which proves the cardio base is there. 50k is more about what your training looks like. The key is the long runs especially if you can do back to back long days. I typically do 20-22 on Saturdays then do It again on Sunday. If you can comfortable with this then you will be just fine. A huge factor for you since you are looking at a 6 hour target is going to be calorie intake and temperature. You need to make sure you have practiced fueling while running. 200-300 calories per hour. Make sure the salt balance and sugar balance is there with what your taking in. If the temp is low this will help a ton as the hotter it gets the calorie burn rate goes up a lot. As far as weekly mileage at least get to 60-70, I typically go to 85 bit it's really not needed. I'm about a 2:50 marathon runner or 6:25 mile pace and adding another 5 miles puts me around a 3:30-340 in a 50k range. My V02 Max is about 63-64 and I typically can get away with 1 gel every 30 minutes plus water intake. For example my last Marathon I took 4 gels total and drank about 22 ounces of water. May sound crazy I know but keep in mind I'm finishing in under 3 hours and it was in low temperature. Hope this helps a little!
Appreciate 1
Feddersen451.00