tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
DIY: Remove Air Bag Stickers From Fabric Sun Visors

***FIRST, PLEASE, BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF, OTHERS, FURNITURE, ETC. Also, this worked for me and didn't damage the sun visors, but no promises here that it will work the same for you. Heed the warning below to check your work after the first visor.***

I was hesitant to attempt removing the air bag stickers because the sun visors are fabric. In my F30, the sun visors were wrapped in vinyl, and I used chemicals to remove the stickers.

I didn't want to risk discoloring the fabric, so, after some research it seemed the best option was heat. Specifically, steam. My wife has a ridiculously overpowered commercial garment steamer, so, I gave it a shot. It worked, and there's almost no sign the air bag stickers were ever there. See pictures. Note, on the extreme close up picture of the installed sun visor, the whitish/blue 'spot' in the middle is from the camera lens or something, and it's not on the visor.
-----------------------
TOOLS:
  • Small flat head screw driver
  • A strong steamer
  • Helpful, but don't know if necessary, a bit of finger nail length. (Never thought I'd write that about anything ever.)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Insert the flat head screw driver into the notch of the cover where the visor is connected to the car. Pop out the clip, and put it in cup holder or somewhere you won't forget.
  2. Pull the sun visor down, then pull it gently towards you in a small arc.
  3. When the visor comes down, there will be an electrical connection. Push the flat screw driver into the red connector plug and GENTLY, GENTLY push it up and slide the connector out.
  4. Repeat on other side, and remove the sun visors from the car.
  5. Steam the area around the sticker liberally. (For me it took several minutes before the sticker would budge.) I lost track of how much time it took.
  6. WITH YOUR HAND AWAY FROM THE STEAM!!!!, softly scratch a corner of the air bag sticker until it starts to give and roll backwards.
  7. Methodically roll the sticker back, and reapply steam during the process WITH YOUR HAND AWAY FROM THE STEAM. Also, don't rest the visor on your lap or on top of anything delicate.
  8. After you finish the first visor, lightly blow dry the fabric so that it's dry. Do this to make sure you haven't discolored the fabric, and if you have discolored/ruined the fabric, you can save yourself from ruining the other side.
  9. After the stickers are removed and you're placing them back into the car, take the small metal pressure fit clip out. (If you've made it this far, you know the one.)
  10. Put the metal clip into the plastic part of the visor (annotated in one of the pictures) before reinstalling.

TIPS:
  • If the sticker won't move with your finger nail, you need to steam it longer. For the first side, I tried using tweezers to peel the corner back. BAD IDEA. The fabric is so tight against the sticker you're probably going to rip the fabric with a tool.
  • To me, I'm convinced that there is a bead of a different and stronger adhesive around the outline of the sticker. It's extra difficult to remove this part. On the first visor, I removed the bulk of the sticker and found a line of adhesive that was needlessly difficult to remove. For the second visor, I kept the sticker in one piece, and made sure I had peeled back some of the sticker around the entire sticker.
  • Don't give in to the temptation to try this inside of the car. If the weather wasn't terrible by me, I would've probably started the project outside. Regardless of the weather, it would be foolish to do this inside the car.
Attached Images