Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
The M550 is nice, but compared to the M2C you will absolutely feel and notice the larger weight and size of the vehicle. The 5 is almost 20in larger than the 2, and about 800lbs more. Of course because of this, while being super fast, the car won't be as nimble or agile in corners, as your M2C and likely body roll may be a tad bit more noticeable. Seeing how much every reviewer/owner loves their M2C moving to the M550 might feel weird and regretful as its a big change/difference in feel.

I would honestly suggest a happy medium and test drive an M340 or wait for the M3 which will have rumored AWD. It won't be as fun as an M2C, but likely won't be the large difference that the M550 is, but the size won't be too larger, and the weight gain won't be as noticeable, while still being more agile. Also coming from a M2, the interior of the new 3 will feel like a welcome change without being too different hopefully. The M550 is a very good car, but I don't know if its the right car to go to after coming from the best modern bimmer you can buy, the M2C.

Another option would be the RS3 or RS5 Sportback/Coupe. Seeing how you already have an Audi (I assume you like it) why not test drive Audi's latest offerings. They both have AWD, the RS3 will be small and nimble as its close in size and weight to the 2, while having the great 5 cylinder, and the RS5 has both a coupe like yours, as well as a practical hatchback that looks pretty good, and from what I've heard handles pretty well.

Last option - winter tires. Who said you need AWD to survive in the snow? Winter tires can likely solve your problems and worries while still giving you the joy of the M2C and its handling.

I'm sure any car you choose you'll love, but just my $0.02 on the subject.
Wow - you really got me re-thinking I thought my OG M2 was something special until I got the M2C - the OG guys will critique the sound of the M2C, and I will admit the N55 sounded better but that's where it ends! Besides the power bump, everything else feels superior, a real //M.
I love my S5 - it's the longest I've ever kept a car - going on 5 years, but it only has 42k miles and feels super solid. I think I got spoiled by the Quattro and the 'off the line' traction, especially in rain - I test drove an RS5 coupe a few months ago (the local dealer had a '19 used) - it just lacked the fun factor - it felt pretty fast but the exhaust note sounded anemic - just wasn't worth the $90k to me...
We are re-thinking the house situation as well - long story, but we were thinking of down sizing but it just means restructuring everything and I'm not looking forward to a move either.
I got to say it's so refreshing to post on this board - all responses were well thought out, informative and mature - no personal bashing/insults etc.
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 4
minn1914037.50
stein_325i25083.00
clee1982797.50