02-09-2021, 10:47 PM   #68
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Im pretty sure BMW isn't targeting most people on a bimmerpost forum.

Agreed. I would say most people here are enthusiasts about performance models and they aren't enthusiasts regarding leasing/buying entry level 3, 5, X3, X5 models.
This is certainly not a universal, but I can usually tell when someone will recognize that I'm pulling up next to them in a BMW based on how many and the location of their tailpipes. 2 pipes on the left side of the car they are usually oblivious. 1 on each side there is a decent chance they'll notice me, and of course 4 pipes is going to almost guarantee a wave. I agree that all of the companies these days are going for the mass market appeal with price. The X1 and 2 series both start at $35,900 and you can get a gently used X3 for $18,000 (one of the docs I work with just did). Those aren't enthusiasts, but probably are happy and excited that they are driving a BMW.

Quote:
I can understand traditional car companies scrambling to get these Tesla buyers, but I don't think they'll make a significant dent in Tesla sales and Tesla's market share will continue to grow. Until people stop viewing Elon Musk like he's Tony Stark, and Tesla stops being "cool" among the masses, I think the competing auto companies will continue to struggle to get people into their electric cars but you need to develop the tech to future proof your cars as ICE go away.
Tesla certainly has the panache these day of "oh, you have a Tesla!?" Something that BMW once certainly had, but is now faded into the background to a degree.

Quote:
It's like if Tesla started targeting M buyers; they would not be very successful.
Maybe only if they can bring the price of their Roaster down or build something in the direction of it at a more reasonable price.

Quote:
Also, the new bmw design language for their electric cars is fugly.
When the Prius started the electric revolution and then a few other companies including BMW with the I3 followed it seemed like the required design language for an electric vehicle was that it was not at all allowed to be sporty or even attractive. You could pick them all out by their similar ugly styling. At least that is starting to subside.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
stein_325i25083.00