12-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
It's definately a lot cheaper to do an oil change yourself, but how will you know when the oil is topped up without the engine having a proper oil dip stick?

And no I don't think it's excessive to do the oil change every 3000 miles. Most synthetic oil changes should be done between 5000-6000 miles anyways. The reason why BMW tells you to change the oil at much higher milage is because you're not paying for it, they are! So to keep the costs down for BMW, they extend the period of time and milage between changes.

I'd say if you own the car like I do, change the oil and keep that engine clean. If you're leasing, keep the costs of the lease as low as possible and follow the recommended maintenance schedule.

Cheers!

You'll know when the oil is topped up by knowing how many liters of oil go into the engine (8.8 liters) and then putting the right amount in after you drain the old oil. Trusting that sensor is a dangerous decision.

I think that changing every 3,000 is excessive. An old habit from older generation cars that has continued despite the fact that new engine and oil technologies make it unnecessary. That being said, I'll change mine every 5000-7500, because I do agree that BMW seems to really spread those services apart. That's just my look on it, I'm sure plenty around here will change theirs like clockwork every 3,000.
Appreciate 0