11-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #41
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Can the rest of you guys who've had the same message please check your coolant reservoirs (with a cold engine) and report whether there has been additional, on-going coolant consumption?

This would certainly negate the whole "air pocket from factory" theory..
FYI - For the initial message, both tanks were completely empty. This second one, the smaller tank was completely full. The larger tank was bone dry. I checked it again 4 days later and added a bit more water to the larger tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmlee View Post
i only have 5000 miles on my car and had to do in around 4000 miles also. my previous f06 650 drank coolant like it ate oil. i always had to fill coolant and oil in the n63tu v8tt from new until 35k miles. everytime i took it for service, they never found any leaks? my previous cars, audi s4, s6 and cayenne s all needed coolant topped up here and there also. there are coolant lines running to the turbo for cooling, im guessing some is burning off over time.
I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics or any physics etc.. but isn't the entire cooling system sealed? If it's burning off, it should be producing steam somewhere and that has to escape. I have noticed a hot coolant smell before when getting out of my car, but not with any specific frequency (and there is dried residue around the cap, but assumed it was from when the dealer opened it hot). Perhaps the coolant is getting so hot that it is, on occasion, activating some pressure relief mechanism in the tank or cap?