View Single Post
      11-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #42
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
FYI - For the initial message, both tanks were completely empty. This second one, the smaller tank was completely full. The larger tank was bone dry. I checked it again 4 days later and added a bit more water to the larger tank.

I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics or any physics etc.. but isn't the entire cooling system sealed? If it's burning off, it should be producing steam somewhere and that has to escape. I have noticed a hot coolant smell before when getting out of my car, but not with any specific frequency (and there is dried residue around the cap, but assumed it was from when the dealer opened it hot). Perhaps the coolant is getting so hot that it is, on occasion, activating some pressure relief mechanism in the tank or cap?
im not 100% for certain either, what I do know is that in all my german cars ive owned or own all burn coolant. in all or most, i do also occasionally smell the faint sweet syurpy aroma of hot/burning coolant. i always just fill it at home and as i never see any obvious leaks. when the car was in for warranty or free maintenance, ill bring it up and they'll look at it, pressure test, etc. and always say nothings is wrong. ive accepted the fact that i always have to fill oil and coolant every now and then.
Appreciate 0