09-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #65
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
There were no AMG E43 and Macan S/GTS when 535xi came out in 2011. E350 was seen as a stale model from MB and A6 was a niche seller from Audi. BMW F10 didn't even need to be great, to win against those sleepy competitors. It's 2016, things have changed. Now there are real competitors out like Jaguar XE, E43, Volvo S90, new A6, Macan S/GTS that will take a sizeable bite out of 5 series, which, judging by the 7 series tepid market response, isn't going to be anything special either. Hopefully competition will force all players to make better product at competitive prices.
1) I am going to ignore the fact that you keep bringing up the Macan. It's a tiny SUV, and outside of a handful of people posting in this thread, no one is cross shopping a tiny SUV with a large sedan.

2) The E43 is expected to start around $65k and likely cost $80k with typical options, so it's going to be priced more like the M550 than the 535 (and performance-wise likely won't be much of a step up from the upcoming 540, if at all). And the M550, which will again likely cost a smidge more but be close, will demolish it.

If you want a Macan, get a Macan. If you want an E, get an E. Personally I'll wait until I've actually seen and driven the new 5er and we know the prices before I condemn it, since doing so beforehand is fairly useless and stupid.
Appreciate 0