View Single Post
      10-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #160
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Back on topic......where I currently live I can have something pretty nicely equipped with a big lot in the $250K range. I'm 10 minutes from the NC mountains with all those fun roads, 45 minutes from Greenville which has plenty of nightlife and good food...although it's growing rapidly, 30 minutes or so from some snow skiing, and only 3.5 hours away from Charleston and the beach.

My daughter moved out last year, and they will actually be moving again pretty soon when she starts at Duke.

Add in the fact that my in-laws owns their own "rock" and construction business so that I could get most of my upgrades on the cheap, and they have done quite a few high-end homes in Asheville.

As much as I hate to be in debt as my current mortgage is paid off, I could still swing buying something in that range outright if I were to dig into savings after selling my current home.

I'm perfectly fine where we are at, but my wife has other plans. We sold some land not to long ago, so I could end up reinvesting that into another piece of property that makes her happy...and eventually building so that I can spread the cost out and us have ultimate say in what we end up with. We aren't looking for anything massive.....but do want out of a neighborhood and to have some privacy.

Location means everything, but it also pays to know people in the business as you can save a lot of money by doing some of the stuff yourself with their help.

We will probably keep the land up near Boone for our "away" place.

Either way....the cheaper I can accomplish it...... the more it leaves for me to have the detached shop/garage of my dreams!