11-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #57
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax240 View Post
I don't know that most HAM fans think Vettel is shit, but he's not as good as Hamilton.
At RedBull, if you have Marko and Horner backing you (as Vet and Ves do), you don't have to be the one motivating your team around you.
Vet clearly had #1 status, but as you can see from 2016 when Rosberg beat Ham, both Merc drivers had equal status. and Ham beat Rosberg fair and square (3 out of 4). And you can see from Bottas' performance over the last two years, Rosberg is WDC material - fast.

Even though I think Webber was good, we'll never know because Marko and Horner favoured Vet. I also think Raikkonen is good, but he's not the type to rally the team around him. so we'll never really know again. and when Vet won his WDCs with RB, he clearly had the faster car. Merc didn't this year.

It's one thing to say any driver could win the WDC in the Merc, but they ignore the fact that drivers like HAM motivated the team to build the car and push it to the limits.
Ha, that's funny, because one can use the same "situational results" to come to a completely different conclusion.

For example, the fact that ROS beat HAM means 2 things:
1 - the Merc is clearly superior, so the competition is only between the 2 drivers
2 - HAM was not the best driver that year, and was nearly beaten by ROS a number of times.

VET, on the other hand, consistently left his teammate in the dust. He's also smoked his teammates at Ferrari and TR. Alonso equaled HAM at McLaren.

There's no evidence that the cars were equal in one situation, but unequal in another, but it's a central premise of your argument. You also ignore the fact that Red Bull was not a WC team before Vettel came along. You have a theory about that, but I'll choose to disagree.

The way I see it, while HAM is a very talented driver, he's hands-down the luckiest driver ever. He started with one team at their peak, and jumped to another team just as the tides turned to them. He's never been with a weak team. We'll never know how he'd have fared in a not-as-fast Ferrari.
Appreciate 0