View Single Post
      06-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Do BMW and Porsche have something to do with each other?

My mom has a 2005 Boxster, and she has let me drive it a few times. I've noticed some serious similarities between BMW and Porsche:

- PSM (Porsche Stability Management) has the exact same indicator that BMW's DSC has (triangle with ! and the sweeping arrow)

- Nearly the exact same placement of the turn signal/dashboard car info selector (same exact way you can check messages/other stuff on the instrument cluster of a new BMW). The levers also look exactly like BMWs and are operated in the exact same way.

- Tipping the turn signal slightly only makes it blink 3 times

- The auto-wipers are identical to BMW's, in the location, image on the lever, and the lever itself. Also has the same number of settings.

- The steering feel is very very similar, but there is a noticeable difference between a BMW and a Porsche. That's probably just because how a sports car should feel, and Porsche and BMW do that very well

Do BMW and Porsche get the same/similar electronics from the same company who makes those things, or does one borrow from the other? Or is it just a coincidence? It seems like it isn't, because they're both German car companies.
Appreciate 0