04-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphy View Post
The dealers don't seem to care. I spoke to them today. My iPhone XS overheating causing connection issues with the car so I lose CarPlay and the phone plays the music rather than it coming through the cars audio system then connects then disconnects etc. I bought some simple stick pads from the dollar shop and put them onto the charging pad to raise the phone slightly to get air flow underneath. So far so good. The phone still gets hit but I have had no disconnect issues since. The pads are white so used a permanent black marker on them so they don't stand out and now seem to blend in quite nicely. BMW should use a small hose or something to connect the air control to the charging pad. Definitely remove your phone from the case before placing on wireless charger.
Good idea to shim the phone slightly to get a little air circulation under it; glad it seems to work. I wonder how far from the pad the phone can go and still charge. My guess is that the heat is generated by a high charge rate, so I don't know if you would actually reduce the heat or just lessen it via air circulation if you move it away. It would be interesting to try a few different thickness shims to see. Still, it is too bad that folks here on the forum have to do all the legwork for the lazy dealer service folks, or have to invent solutions for problems that BMW should be fixing and for which there are BMW solutions but they just don't know about them. --Bob