06-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #41
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
Do you know if there's any personal financial consequence for that idiot that wrecked the M2C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scientist View Post
Was wondering this as well. There has to some liability for this right? You can't just walk away from that....can you?

there is indeed legal responsibility, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
I can't say I was shocked that someone wrecked one of these...but I believe the answer is that BMW's insurance has to cover it. I don't believe you have to have insurance to test drive or even buy a car...you just need to prove you get insurance afterward (or they force it into the contract). You also don't need to show up at the DMV with insurance to get a license I don't think. Will be interesting to see, if we can, how this plays out.

I am all but positive that it will go on the driver's record though, as I doubt this wouldn't be reported to DMV.

, whether or not the policy for the driver is primary or secondary varies from state to state in the US.

Here is an article that directly speaks to the rental car climate in California, specifically... and indeed.. there is no requirement of a rental company to request proof of insurance from a renter.

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...surance-gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I thought the drivers insurance would pay like when you get a loaner.
In some states, the policy for the VEHICLE is primary ( aka- insurance follows the car) .... and in other states.. the policy for the DRIVER is primary (aka - insurance follows the driver). It is also important to keep in mind that rental car situations in some states may differ from situations that involve loaner vehicles.

BMW NA either

1) has insurance that will cover the loss
2) is self insured and will absorb the loss

While there may be a possibility of legally pursuing the negligent driver.. I would say that it really isn't in their best interests, in my opinion due to negative publicity. Let's assume that the individual that " claimed he got lost" and eventually wrecked the M2 had no insurance. Would it look good for BMW to pursue the driver ?

If there is insurance involved, then the insurance company for BMW that handles the loss may indeed attempt to pursue recovery from a policy for the driver ... however I highly doubt that BMW would directly pursue the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
I would hope so, if not just a lifetime ban from event like this is good.
I would agree, and the purpose of collecting ID from each participant in advance, as well as checking the ID at the event, likely would facilitate the ability to do this.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-26-2019 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0