View Single Post
      07-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

M550 coolant leak

On Sunday evening, I arrived home from longboat key, FL, about 2hr drive, and I had encountered very heavy rain but definitely didn't run over or hit anything on the road.

Next morning I'm getting ready to leave for work and I get the "low coolant" IDrive warning. I take a look underneath the car and there's a significant amount of coolant that had leaked on the garage floor.

I cleaned it up and noticed that the leak appears to be coming from the driver side bumper area and there was even coolant sitting on the plastic honeycomb-looking air intake cover (which I thought was a bit weird- how would coolant leak to an exterior component like that?). I took my other car to work and when I got home saw that it was still leaking, both reservoirs now completely empty.

Anyway, had the car towed to the dealer and I'm interested to see what component has failed. I had the "engine lubrication strategy" recall completed a few months ago and maybe one of the new lines is leaking, maybe it's the radiator itself.

This is apparently a separate issue from the "low coolant" issue resulting from incorrect filling at the factory that seemed to mostly impact 540's. Has anyone had this kind of complete coolant leak/part failure on their m550?
Appreciate 0