Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim415 View Post
I have a 2011 e92 335is. I've been going crazy for the past 6 months trying to decide if I should sell my E92 for an F30. How many of you came from that platform? What were the biggest changes in the F30 platform? Specifically an F30 335i. Is the electric steering a big downgrade from the hydraulic? I loooove my E92's hydraulic steering. My biggest concern is that I will regret selling my car. It took me forever to find it as I'm a stickler for my future car to hit all the marks on my checklist. My car is a bit rare as it is a 335is with lowish miles, all options, Dakota black interior and a 6MT. It was the only manual trans 335is for sale in CA at the time. I truly love my car but I've been bit by the F30 bug and it's been eating away at me. I'm worried that I would be selling a rare and unique car for one that's more common. Not saying that an F30 isn't special, I just wouldn't be able to afford a super nice one probably. I don't know, I can't even find one in 6MT (except for the forum).
Came from an e93, biggest differences to me was the tech, transmission, and as you mentioned the steering. Tech was a huge plus to me, just so much more cool factor and the e93 always felt a little outdated to me (not all in a bad way). I absolutely love the new 8 speed automatics but that wouldn't matter in your car since you're looking into a 6 MT. Finally the steering, definitely took a little bit to get used to but once you're there you kinda forget what the e9xs steering felt like. Will you miss the 335is? Absolutely. Does it mean you should keep it? That decision remains with you, all I will say is that the hydraulic steering will have to go some day unless you plan on specifically searching for hydraulic steering vehicles which will only get rarer as time goes.
All good points. I think the first step would be to test drive an F30. Btw why did they not make a 2 door model? Correct me if I'm wrong but the coupe didn't come out till the 435i in 2015? So I would have to settle for a sedan if I wanted a 335i.
Appreciate 0