03-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
2 details which seem to buried in the media stories are (1) the system will be switchable by the driver, so like auto stop/start, you could just turn it off every-time you start the car if so inclined and (2) when activated, you can still exceed the limit by pressing down hard on the accelerator - much like the speed limit feature in our cars now.

So it seems more a case of "it will be mandatory to fit a speed limiting system in all cars but it won't be mandatory for drivers to use it"; that's just not as catchy a headline though is it.

I think there is a massive difference between forcing manufacturers to install the tech, and forcing its use to be mandatory - if its the former, then I'm not overly worried; just more bloatware on cars but we are used to that. If its the latter, then I'll be concerned. The fact its switchable gives me hope.
It's going to be switchable @ the start, but at 2024 ALL cars with GPS will be fitted at MOT time with it, the new M3 coming out this year will have this built in, so ALL cars from next year will IMO have it built in, it's just when they decide to make it compulsory to have it on the end for the high end fast cars, I just can't see the likes of Ferrari/Bentley/Aston/AMG/ BMW M standing for it as sales will just disappear, it will not be worth spending good money on a 70 MPH car. "yes sir I'm afraid your Bentley will only do 70 MPH anywhere in Europe", then stick it I'll buy a KIA.