03-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
pre-2022 car values will skyrocket just like american pre-ban automatic weapons.
You mean SEMI-autos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post
What worries me more is the proposal in there (apparently) that all cars will have a black box which records all driver input, speed and so on. So whilst the system is switchable and you can over-ride it, if you do that and then crash I don't like to think about the consequences for the driver. Equally I don't know what is already recorded and what engineers could access through current ECU and data logging etc... so this could be a moot point.

My view, as others have expressed, is that this will make 2020 and 20201 cars very valuable indeed unless there is some sort of retrofit required for older cars (which I doubt). My plan is therefore to save up, by a 2021 M5 and then enjoy! No-one will want a high performance car with a "spy" built in.
Been done here. A while ago (I don't remember when) a girl in the north east was charged with manslaughter when she lost control of her SUV on black ice, hit a tree and her passenger was killed. The "authorities" used the "black box" information to charge her. She wasn't speeding, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
The "Intelligent Speed Assistance" software uses a combination of GPS, sign-recognition cameras, and maps to work out whether a vehicle is passing the local speed limit. It's just a matter of time before you automatically get a speeding ticket. 🤬
Vehicles under the proposal would also be required to have "Automated Emergency Braking" - designed to detect pedestrians and cyclists and brake accordingly. The proposal also includes a rule meant to make it harder to drink and drive.
http://www.businessinsider.com/eu-fi...er-2022-2019-3
There was at least one rental company in Florida that was issuing tickets when renters exceeded the speed limit. IIRC, the renters got a ticket for each instance! They got away with it (for a while anyway) as the contract said they would get a ticket for speeding. It was in the small, small, small print.
Appreciate 0