View Single Post
      01-04-2024, 06:43 PM   #16
eric_gm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i - Blown E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
There was so much hemming and hawing and plain misinformation surrounding the 15K OCI BMW had and how it was ruining engines. My 328i did 15K OCIs the first 50K miles when the maintenance was covered by BMW and after that I started doing 10K intervals. I got the oil tested by Blackstone and it was in excellent condition, so much so that they recommended going higher next time, which essentially would have been a 15K OCI.
Totally right. If I trusted my E39s Oil Service Indicator I would go past 25k kms (15k+ miles) between changes. Since it's based on fuel consumption that means if I don't use the car that much, getting to the "oil service" warning would equal 6 or 7 years at the current rate. I would never leave oil in there for that long, so those BMW indicators are flawed, or at least they were in older models. Not sure if the G30 is smarter in that regard.

That being said, if I used the car intensively and were adding 15k miles to my E39 in a year or two, I'm pretty sure the engine would be fine and nothing would grenade.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post29923106
Appreciate 0