View Single Post
      11-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #21
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
It's gonna take at least 10 inches of snow to get stuck even with RWD and proper winter tires. I've driven my sport suspension 318ti for many, many years in Minnesota and got stuck only once in a fresh 14" of thick, wet, heavy snow. Blizzak WS-50/60.
10" of dry snow!. Here in the Sierra, 10" of wet snow means you don't move without AWD and snows. As you mention, wet snow is entirely different. If you add any sort of an incline into the equation you will be stuck. The XI or any car that delivers power front and rear will always have an advantage in snow without a doubt. The Xi however is definately not as performance oriented as other AWD cars such as the Subaru WRX, STI and Mitsu. EVO.

This morning I woke up to 5 inches of ultra heavy wet snow and the XI was having some difficulty on going up the hill - granted I still have my summer tires on. The Blizzacks go on this weekend. For what it's worth, General UHP's while rated as all season tires are definately NOT good in the snow.

Since you are talking NE, for the most part you are dealing with colder temps, not as heavy snow and certainly not the elevation changes that the west has, so the i with decent snows would be fine. I grew up in NE and lived there until I was 25. Most of my driving experience was with RWD and FWD cars and they did fine.
Appreciate 0