Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
works now for me, yea, not sure what the back end infrastructure for BMW is, but all of the BMW connect drive stuff seems very slow, maybe they're triple authenticating something...
I've tried to use the remote unlocking feature on multiple vehicles and it's always been really slow spanning several years. It's a good bet that if you launch it you will probably find your keys before the command completes!
Isn't the whole point that remote app features are designed only as in the case of an emergency (remote access)? That's how they market it too. If your are next to the car, then why would anyone ever want to use the app.

I should also add that over here in the UK, we don't have the same issues of outage that you guys experience.
You lost your keys. The keys were accidentally locked inside the vehicle. Had too much to drink and left your keys with the valet. There are plenty of reasons to be able to unlock your doors remotely. It's a convenience feature it should be faster like it is on most every other vehicle in the world.
All those scenarios you explain are not everyday occurrences. That's why I really don't get the urgency when it comes to how long for commands to execute. I'd rather have a secure system when it's remote.
It wouldn't be any less secure if it was faster. Every other car manufacturer in the world offers this feature and it only takes a few seconds.

Here is another example. Sometimes it takes three or four minutes for the remote 3D view to activate. If I need to look at something in my vehicle in a hurry (like I heard a noise and thought something might be breaking into the vehicle) this would not be an acceptable time to wait. Another example is you're walking to your car and you see someone with a gun and you want to flash your lights or honk the horn, it takes so long it's ineffective.

These are not issues with the key fob. I do realize it has to go across Internet to work; however, as a previous employee of GM (network security), I can tell you that it's no less secure if it's fast. I had to work day in and day out with the OnStar team to make sure the network was fast and secure enough for these types of commands. I think you understand my point.
Appreciate 2
ADS-UK498.50
clee1982797.50