04-26-2019, 03:01 AM   #7
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I have CarPlay turned off and use BT for my iPhone. BT gives you Spotify and Pandora along with a backdoor way of using Plex. If CarPlay supported Plex directly then maybe it be worth it. But it doesn't and that is a big maybe especially since I'm not using it now and it's Free for the first year.
As my sub to CarPlay has ended, I've switched back to BT connectivity and I'm missing CarPlay already.

I agree using the BMW navigation is much better but I frequently get directions from friends by Google Maps, and simply tapping a pin and getting those instructions on screen has been useful and worthwhile.

I also miss the wifi connectivity and the simple use of TuneIn, Spotify and my other apps too.

I am however in two minds about fullscreen or not. I think I'll skip as it's quite nice to combine CarPlay content and iDrive content on one screen. If I could toggle it on and off, that would be perfect but I don't believe this is possible. From what I can tell you just get one or the other.

I've been on holiday for a while now so I'm going to weigh up my options and decide on what to do.

Ultimately, I'm rather bitter with BMW at the moment. They offered me CarPlay for 299eur following a 1eur trial, but refused to let me upgrade during the trial. As such, the price for CarPlay has gone up to 399eur and there's not a chance I'll pay that! I'm also reluctant to pay 299eur now....