07-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJudas View Post
Yeah, the backward tacho would take some getting used to... However, I think that's the general approach with all the 'cockpit' views/displays nowadays - it's just to clear some real estate space so that the manufacturer can utilise it for other views - even the second pic in the original post has what appears to be a GPS map in that space you mentioned.

iDrive7 will definitely take some getting used to. Was having a play around in the new 7er on the weekend, the interface/layout seemed to have a much steeper learning curve then previous Gens - maybe that's just me showing my age and a testament to how much Tech is actually packed into this infotainment units.
I view info systems slightly differently. I don't care if the system is somewhat unintuitive and difficult for those features that are used before driving and not used during driving.

But for those functions used during driving (e.g., volume, station, HVAC adjustments) I want buttons to press or turn that I can do by touch and/or steering wheel buttons for the feature and I want key information showing on my HUD, not the IDrive display.

BMW does a pretty good job at this although I really would have liked to see a tach in the HUD and like others, I would prefer a traditional tach in lieu of the tricked out reverse tach BMW is using now.

My car is IDrive 6 (2018 G30). Has anyone coded the G20 for the Alpina display? Can it be done? If so, does it have a traditional tach? Just wondering.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50